A sauce is a liquid with flavor; it is usually thickened by a thickening agent.
They are used to season, flavor and to accentuate the flavors on a dish. They
- It enriches foods
- Appearance (adds color And texture)
- Interest (to the person who is eating the dish)
The Structure of a sauce
The most common sauces are made from 3 types of ingredients:
- Liquid, the liquid is the body of a sauce (1st layer of flavor). There are 5
different types of liquid or layers to start a sauce.
- White stock
- Brown stock
- Tomato And stock
- Clarified butter.
- Thickening agent, (the sauce needs to stick to the food), there different
types of thickening agents:
- Roux = 50% fat (butter) + 50% flour
- Starch (vegetables, potatoes, bread, grains)
- Seasonings And additional flavorings (2nd layer of flavor).
- Mirepoix = 50% onions, 25% celery, 25% carrots
- Onion pique = ½ onion, bay leaf, cloves
- Bouquet garni = any type of vegetables or herbs tied together And
used to flavor dishes.
- Sachet bag = a bag made out of cheesecloth, filled with herbs And
spices, to create a bag And add to a flavor to the dish. This is used
when the chef does not want to see the herb in the finished dish.
There are 5 mother sauces; they are called this because we can create many
sauces if we use these sauces as our bases. They can be used in different
combinations to create a new sauce. To create these new sauces first cook the
mother sauce And then add the ingredients listed on the combination list that is
after every mother sauce recipe.
mother sauces, secret sauce, cheddar sauce, mushroom sauce, veloute, primo sauce, espanole, criolle sauce, bechamel, tomato sauce,mother
sauces,stock,sauce,spanish sauce,creolle sauce, flavor, roux, bechamel, espanole, hollandase, veloute, sachet bag, mother sauces, secret sauce,
cheddar sauce, mushroom sauce, veloute, primo sauce, espanole, criolle sauce, bechamel, tomato sauce, mother sauces of the culinary world, how to
make mother sauces, bechamel, veloute, españole, espanole, hollandaise, Tomato sauce, learn to make mother sauces
|Are you looking
to sharpen you
culinary skills at
cooking class on
DVD will get you
on the right path